The Shell Grotto dedicated to Pan was created by Wendy Dare in 1989. She and her husband have been landscaping their mill-stream garden for over 30 years.
Barnsley House is near Cirencester and the main house is owned by gardener and designer Rosemary Verey from the 1950s. A shell grotto feature designed by her is a feature within an old orangery (1697). Native shells, tufa and corals have been used.
Main house is Moghul inspired and was built in 1805. A nabob villa. Humphrey Repton garden in Picturesque style. Rockery grotto is fanned around an ornamental pool. Each side has 4 small grotto niches each with a giant clam shell. A temple to Surya stands below a row of three rusticated grottoes set into a hilly mound. A further small grotto is sited in another rockery. Designed by Thomas Diniell. It contains ashlar limestone pillars and a lintel with a triangular relief.
Near Ledbury. Main House is Greek Revival 1778 by architect Richard Falconer. Dr Gilbert Greenall lives here now. Shell pavilion designed by his son, Edward and decorated by Sarah Greenall. Cotswold Greek-style pillar facing. Set into a bank with water feature. Inside symmetrical shell patterns detail rondels and scallop friezes. The ceiling is particularly decorative.
Main House (1813). Owned by the Barlow family. The Folly Garden (early 19th century) is sited in a valley with lakes and a maze of tunnel grottoes, sham ruins, decorative Plant Houses and an impressive Doric Temple.
A Victorian mansion created by Robert Holford between 1862 - 75. Scallop motif as an architectural feature on the house and pavilions located in the Italianate terraces. A large Pulhamite grotto and lake are both in a neglected condition.
Mary Delany lived here from 1715 with her family. The pond, rills and wild flower meadows are still there.
Her room is now called 'The Mary Delany Room'. The property is now a luxury hotel.
Grotto at Bleby House, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire. An early 18th-century shell and tufa grotto reputedly built over the grave of St Kenelm.
The grotto is now in a ruinous condition.
Owners David and Etta Howard have spent over 25 years creating a garden of interconnected rooms with superbly mirrored vistas and eye catchers. The Daglingworth limestone grotto sits below a temple and is part of a series of water features.
Created from 1740 by Charles Hyett to incorporate many fantasy eye-catchers: the Eagle and Pigeon House, an Exedra, a Gothic Red House and a very early niche grotto and plunge pool with a statue of Pan. It is a rare example in Britain of a complete Rococo-style garden. Painted in 1748 by Thomas Robins.
Early 18th-century Landscape gardens near Cirencester, created from 1716 by the Earl of Bathurst. Alexander Pope advised on the garden design including the Pavilion " Pope's Seat".
Alfred's Hall was built to celebrate Bathurst's friendship with Jonathan Swift.
Early 17th-century house with shell finials which are replicated throughout the early 18th-century garden. The Jacobean coat of arms of the Tracy family features a Scallop emblem.
Shell carvings can be found inside the 'Hermitage' which was built as part of an 18th-century water garden.
Stanway Church has a staind glass window which features St James of Compostela holding a shell.