SAINTS AND SHELLS
Built by Sir Christopher Wren(1684). The tomb stone of 18th century Shell Artist and Socialite Mary Delany is found inside the church as are the carved Alter swags by Grinling Gibbons. These limewood carvings are one of the few places where we can see his work. The cresting shows a high degree of symmetry, with groups of flowers, foliage and sea shells mirroring each other.
The imposing cruciform church dates from the late 12th century and was attended by Joseph and Josiah Lane, two of England’s greatest Master Grotto Builders of the 18th century. Particularly interesting are the Pew Ends decorated with a carved oak shell motif. These are Jacobean in origin and seem to link the church with the Pilgrim Route. A stained glass window depicting Jesus anointing with a similar shell dates from 1908.