This is one of England’s earliest and best-preserved shell houses dating from the late 1730s, created by the Duke of Richmond and sited opposite the Banqueting House. Decorated by his wife and daughters, Caroline and Emily Lennox, whose initials appear on an internal wall. Over 5 million exotic shells were used. Shell restorers Diana Reynell and Tess Morley, 1983.
In 1760 William Mitford became the new owner of Pitshill a neo-classical house. The Shell House was sited in a wooded area and built c1800. The shell decoration (1810) has been linked to the Mitford sisters, Frances, Emma and Caroline. Today the importance of a 20-year restoration project of house and garden buildings was recognised by Historic Houses association in 2017. The shell restoration was done by professional artist, Katheryn Lloyd.